Laughter Yoga is a physically-oriented technique that uses a perfect blend of playful, empowering and otherwise "tension-releasing" laughter exercises. these are interspersed with gentle breathing and stretching exercises, rhythmic clapping and chanting Ho Ho Ha Ha Ha in unison.
Anybody can laugh for 15-20 minutes without a sense of humor, jokes or comedy. In Laughter Yoga we use laughter as a tool, not an emotion. Simulated laughter soon becomes real when practiced in a group.
We laugh as a way to improve health, increase well- being, and promote peace in the world through personal transformation. All exercises are adapted to suit the needs and abilities of the group participating. The soft chuckle of a 99 year old man is as efficient to that person as the belly rippling laughter of a 20 year old.
The second part of laughter yoga is called "laughter meditation". The group members sit on the floor (or on a chair if they can't) in silence for few minutes and then start faking laughter until it flows spontaneously. Deep, natural laughter naturally happens without the need for comedy or jokes. In the final stage of laughter meditation all participants lie down on the floor with their eyes closed. They just can't help laughing!
Laughter yoga has many benefits beside the joy of laughter. It strengthens the immune system, combats negative effects of stress, and is a powerful antidote to depression and anxiety. It alleviates high blood pressure and asthma and increases tolerance to pain. In addition it improves people's sense of humor, self confidence and communications skills.
Laughter Yoga runs stress-busting seminars for business as well as personal and professional trainings for anyone interested in learning more and/or teaching this method.
10 Good Reasons To Laugh For No Reason
- Laughter is a stress buster.
It reduces the levels of stress hormones epinephrine and cortisol.
- Laughter strengthens the immune system.
The immune system is important in maintaining good health by keeping infections, allergies and cancers at bay:
Laughter is anti-aging.
- Recent research into the effects of laughter by Dr. Lee S. Berk, Professor at Loma Linda University, California, USA, demonstrates that laughter will increase the count of natural killer cells (NK cells - a type of white cell) and antibody levels.
- Laughter therapy helps to increase antibodies (Immunoglobulin A) in the mucous of the nose and respiratory passages.
Laughter is aerobic exercise.
- It tones facial muscles and expressions.
- Laughter causes an increase in blood supply to the face, which is why some people look flushed. This nourishes the skin and makes it glow.
- People look younger and more fun when they laugh!
Laughter stimulates the heart and blood circulation and is equivalent to any other standard aerobic exercise.
Laughter is internal jogging.
- Dr. William Fry, Stanford University, USA, claims one minute of laughter is equal to 10 minutes on the rowing machine.
- The singular benefit amost everybody deries is a sense of well-being because more oxygen is taken in during laughter.
- It is a universal exercise regime suitable for everybody, including people confined to a bed or a wheelchair.
Laughter massages internal organs by enhancing the blood supply and increasing their efficiency. This is especially good for proper bowel movement.
Laughter is a natural painkiller.
- Laughter exercises the abdominal muscles and helps to improve muscle tone.
Laughter increases the levels of endorphins the body's natural pain killers. Norman Cousins, an American journalist who was suffering from an incurable disease of the spine, benefited from laughter therapy in a situation when all painkillers were ineffective.
Laughter can control high blood pressure.
- Endorphins released as a result of laughter may help in reducing the intensity of pain in those suffering from arthritis, spondylitis, and muscular spasms of the body.
Laughter helps to control blood pressure by reducing the release of stress-related hormones.
Laughter can help dump depression and anxiety.
- Experiments have demonstrated that a 10-minute laughter session leads to a reduction of 10-20 mm in blood pressure. This, however, does not mean that patients taking 2-3 tablets for blood pressure every day will be completely cured.
The stress and strain of modern life takes a heavy toll on the human body and mind.
Laughter alleviates bronchitis and asthma.
- Better sleep
- Reduced depression—some people claim they can manage without prescribed anti-depressant pills and tranquilizers.
Laughter improves lung capacity and oxygen levels in the blood.
Laughter just makes you feel good.
- Laughter Club members report a marked reduction in the frequency of asthma attacks.
Laugh and the world laughts with you. How you react to life is up to you. Live life laughing!
Visit us online at www.laughteryoga.org.
Tips on health and wellness can be found in
Bragg's Build Powerful Nerve Force book